So Milwaukee, WI is a pretty awesome place that I had no idea about prior to attending the National Main Street Conference. Back on the west coast, when I mentioned I was traveling to Milwaukee, no one seemed particularly excited about the destination. I have no idea why because Milwaukee has it going on and the word needs to get out! Here are 5 spots I totally recommend if you are visiting "The Good Land":
1. The Coffee Scene: So many local coffee companies to choose from, you probably won't set foot in a Starbucks while you are here. Anodyne, Collectivo and Stone Creek Coffee are completely necessary stops to get your caffeine fix. There are multiple locations to choose from so it's easy to find.
2. If you need to burn off some of your energy from your Honey Bee Latte at Anodyne, there are a number of hip neighborhoods to walk through including Historic Third Ward, Old 3rd Street and if you are up for a longer walk, check out the Hank Aaron State Trail or Oak Leaf Trail featuring scenic views of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee skyline.
Must See Places:
Inspired (Third Ward): A unique home decor store with an appreciation of the past and a flare for the future of home decor.
Uber Tap Room and Cheese Bar (Historic Third Ward): A fun restaurant and bar featuring delicious cheese, Milwaukee Beer and the most amazing Giant Pretzel Ever!
Milwaukee Art Museum: (Between the Hank Aaron State Trail and the Oak Leaf Trail): The building itself is a piece of art with a moveable suncreen that unfolds and folds it's 217-foot wingspan, twice daily.
3. After your walk, re-fuel at the Milwaukee Public Market located on Water Street. This indoor market is a "Gathering place where great taste is always in season." The market features 18 different vendors ranging from restaurants to retail stores and more. It's a place built to appeal to the masses since there is something for everyone underneath one roof. Be sure to try a Brookie Cookie from C. Adam's Bakery for a piece of chocolately heaven.
4. When you are ready for a unique adventure head over to Safe House Restaurant, if you can find it. Hint: It's located on Front Street. It's a 1960s style, spy-themed restaurant, filled with authentic memorabilia. Yes, you will have to know the secret password to gain access. Can't find the password, that's OK, you'll just need to pass a few tests to prove your worthiness. Even if you just go for a drink, it's worth the experience.
5. Last but not least, you have to take a picture with "The Bronze Fonz". Standing a mighty 5'6" tall, The Bronz Fonz receives his fair share of love. Happy Days are sure to be ahead if you check this Milwaukee tradition off your list.
Moral of the story, Main Street Programs can make places awesome! I am so happy to have discovered this awesome place. I came to Milwaukee not knowing a thing about it and I'm leaving a huge fan! I'll be seeing you again Milwaukee and I can't wait to get to know you even better!
Meredith from Nevada